Want some extra help with career planning?
Every career is different; every person is unique. Your career planning must suit your personality, skills, lifestyle and goals. It also needs to be flexible enough to take life's surprises into account.
The better informed and prepared you are, the more satisfying you will find your career planning and career path. The links on this page are designed to give you extra resources so you are well equipped to plan any stage of your career - from first job to mid-career, or from re-training to management.
Your career planning in context
It is important that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities, and are informed about legislation and policies that affect your career planning.
The following sites are 'information portals' that provide public access information. For more specific enquiries, you may need to contact the agencies or organisations directly.
- Australian Government employment and workplace relations services for Australians, including job outlook
- Code of conduct - part of the Public Administration Act, this code ensures public sector employees act impartially, with integrity and accept accountability
- Core public service conditions - the VPS Workplace Determination 2012 sets out the core employment conditions for most non-executive public servants in Victoria
- Employment programs- information about the Jobs for Victoria initiatives and other programs
- Executive employment handbook- employment arrangements for executives in the Victorian Public Service and some authorities in the Victorian public sector
- Business Victoria- Business Victoria's policies cover the overall industrial relations framework, agreement making, consultation and employment issues within the Victorian public sector
- Fair Work Australia- helps deliver an industrial relations system that is fair for all Victorian workers
- Public Administration Act 2004- this provides the legislative framework for good public sector governance and administration in Victoria
- Public sector executives- information on the executive remuneration policy and core contract requirements for chief and senior executives
- State Services Authority- leads continuous improvement of services, standards, governance and workforce development in the Victorian public sector
- Victorian public health sector employment- job opportunities in a range of disciplines in State Government funded health services
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission- works to eliminate unlawful discrimination and to promote equal employment opportunity in the Victorian community
- Victoria online- the Victorian Government's website that contains a wealth of information about Victoria.
- Work Safe Victoria- manages workplace health and safety, public safety and worker's compensation in Victoria
For specific enquiries regarding employment with the Victorian Government, we invite you to register for online job applications or browse our current job vacancies by searching on the right.